Prompt Challenge: Morceau

Prompt Challenge: Morceau:

morceau. n; 1. Piece; morsel. 2. An excerpt or passage of poetry or music.


This week’s word had me searching for poetry about food. I’d been playing around with another Turkish Map Fold variation, suggested by Jeannine’s comment that she “start(s) with 2 straight folds (horizontal and vertical) and only one diagonal.” Starting with a square piece of paper, this fold produces another, smaller square. I glued 4 of them to a backing sheet, and liked the way it opened — see the model below.


another map fold model


I liked that opening up one of the quadrants could reveal a surprise and also that the unfolded structure is very map-like. To go along with this week’s word, I thought I’d put some sort of food on the outside (maybe chocolates?), and the filling would be revealed by opening the folds underneath. So I spent way too much time trying to find a poem about chocolates or candy, and then trying to write one myself (a lost cause!). Then I found this poem from Shel Silverstein’s book Every Thing On It, and knew what to do…


Italian Food

Shel Silverstein


Oh, how I love Italian food.

I eat it all the time,

Not just ’cause how good it tastes

But ’cause how good it rhymes.

Minestrone, cannelloni,

Macaroni, rigatoni,

Spaghettini, scallopini,

Escarole, braciole,

Insalata, cremolata, manicotti,

Marinara, carbonara,

Shrimp francese, Bolognese,

Ravioli, mostaccioli,

Mozzarella, tagliatelle,

Fried zucchini, rollatini,

Fettuccine, green linguine,

Tortellini, Tetrazzini,

Oops—I think I split my jeani.


Here’s the back and front of the book I made:

Front and back for morceau


Partially opened…

Partially open morceau


Fully opened….

Fully open morceau


There was a problem though. When the book is open, turning it over shows that the panels are slightly scrambled. So the content needs more work. Here’s the back…


Back open for morceau


Next word: flexuous, adj; Full of bends or curves; sinuous.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario